In the middle of the wet season is a good time to be talking about toilets, washing, wastewater and how to dispose of the wastewater safely.
A full review of the workshop and results will be posted here soon but in summary:
- 32 participants including SAFE staff, local villagers, an engineer, film maker, singing team and architects from private practice and university sectors
- design development of 2 toilet and shower units and associated wastewater treatment systems
- mock up of key parts of the systems (full scale) including bamboo frames and jointing, septic tank construction - waterproofing and water pumping options from tube wells to supply the wash area and toilet
- mock ups of the two final designs at full scale
- costing of all the components and labour to make the 2 units.
The designs are now being finalised for construction in September.